In 1898 the first Franco-Albertan newspaper in Western Canada was founded. By 1928, six French newspapers emerged. Not all had the same longevity and some were successful outside the borders of the province, for example, the newspaper L’Union founded in 1917 was, “one of the top ten independent newspapers in French Canada,” according to Le Devoir. Despite its reputation, the differences between the leaders of the newspaper L’Union and the newly founded French Canadian Association of Alberta (founded in 1926) resulted in the disappearance of the L’Union in 1929 and the founding of a new journal LS Alberta, which then became the official publication of the French Canadian Association of Alberta. The new newspaper, LS Alberta, was launched on November 16, 1928.