The Writers’ Guild of Alberta is preparing to celebrate another successful year with the 2017 Alberta Literary Awards. Writers from across Alberta and their publishers are invited to check out and submit to this year’s award categories. Submissions are evaluated on originality, creativity, and quality of writing, as well as appropriate fit within a category. The winners will be announced at the 2017 Alberta Literary Awards Gala in Edmonton in June 2017.
The 2017 Alberta Literary Award Categories
Prizes of $1500 will be awarded in the following categories:
- R. Ross Annett Award for Children’s Literature (picture books)
- Georges Bugnet Award for Fiction
- Wilfrid Eggleston Award for Nonfiction
- Gwen Pharis Ringwood Award for Drama (plays published or produced)
- Stephan G. Stephansson Award for Poetry
Prizes of $700 will be awarded in the following categories:
- James H. Gray Award for Short Nonfiction (published pieces)
- Howard O’Hagan Award for Short Story (published only)
- Jon Whyte Memorial Essay Award (unpublished pieces)
A prize of $500 will be awarded to unpublished poetry, fiction, or nonfiction in the following category:
- Writers’ Guild of Alberta 2017 Youth/Emerging Writing Contest
Award submissions can also be entered to qualify for the following city book prize:
- The Robert Kroetsch City of Edmonton Book Prize ($10,000 prize)
- And we will be accepting nominations for the Golden Pen Award
Submission deadline: December 31, 2016
Download the submission guidelines at: http://writersguild.ca/PDF/LiteraryCompetitions2017.pdf
The awards presentation will take place in conjunction with the 2017 WGA Conference in June 2017.
Alberta Literary Awards Background
The Alberta Literary Awards were created by the Writers’ Guild of Alberta in 1982 to recognize excellence in writing by Alberta authors. Entries are judged by an independent jury recruited by the WGA.
See more info at: http://writersguild.ca