The Lethbridge Herald is a daily newspaper now published jointly by Continental Newspapers and Glacier Media. It began its life as the Lethbridge Weekly Herald in 1905. Shortly after the launch of the Weekly Herald, William Ashbury Buchanan bought a half interest in the paper, and by the end of 1906 was its sole owner. In December 1907, Buchanan launched the Lethbridge Daily Herald while the weekly continued as a separate paper until 1950. Buchanan died in 1954, and his son Hugh Buchanan took over and in 1959 sold the paper to F.P. Publications. In 1980, Thomson Newspapers bought F.P. Publications, and in September 2000, sold it to Horizon Publications Inc., owned by David Radler, Conrad Black’s former business partner at Hollinger.
When Horizon purchased these titles in 2000, they were called the Southern Alberta Newspapers. Radler reorganized them as Alta Newspaper Group Limited Partnership. Some years later, Glacer Media Group took a 59% ownership position in the company and now the Lethbridge Herald is currently owned jointly by Alta Newspaper Group and Glacer Media, along its sister daily newspaper, the Medicine Hat News.
The Herald debuted its Sunday edition on 12 April 1992. In 1995, it was the first Alberta newspaper to introduce an Internet edition. On 6 September 1996, it switched to full morning delivery. As of 2015, the Lethbridge Herald prints 6 newspapers (including its own daily newspaper), including its sister daily newspaper the Medicine Hat News and the weeklies – Prairie Post, the Lethbridge Sun Times and the Taber Times. The Herald now publishes seven days a week with an average daily circulation of 12,524.