The Writers’ Guild of Alberta will celebrate another successful year with the 2016 Alberta Literary Awards. Alberta writers and publishers are invited to check out and submit to this year’s award categories. Submissions are evaluated on originality, creativity, quality of writing, and appropriate fit within a category. Winners will be announced at the 2016 Alberta Literary Awards Gala in Calgary in the spring in conjunction with the 2016 WGA Conference.
Prizes of $1500 are awarded in the following categories:
- R. Ross Annett Award for Children’s Literature (chapter books)
- Georges Bugnet Award for Fiction
- Wilfrid Eggleston Award for Nonfiction
- Gwen Pharis Ringwood Award for Drama (plays published or produced)
- Stephan G. Stephansson Award for Poetry
Prizes of $700 are awarded in the following categories:
- James H. Gray Award for Short Nonfiction (published pieces)
- Howard O’Hagan Award for Short Story (published only)
- Jon Whyte Memorial Essay Award (unpublished pieces)
The WGA is also administering the following award for 2016:
- The Robert Kroetsch City of Edmonton Book Prize ($10,000 prize)
And will be accepting nominations for the Golden Pen Award
Submission deadline: December 31, 2015
The Alberta Literary Awards were created by the Writers’ Guild of Alberta in 1982 to recognize excellence in writing by Alberta authors. Entries are judged by an independent jury recruited by the WGA. Submissions are evaluated on originality, creativity, and quality of writing, as well as appropriate fit within a category.