The third annual SkirtsAfire, herArts Festival from March 5 to 8 offers an amazing line up of talented artists once again this year, it is hard to know where to begin … but we do know it is time for you to begin planning your festival dates! Celebrate International Women’s Day all weekend long.
SkirtsAfire, herArts Festival Official Opening Ceremonies
Thursday March 5, 5:00pm – 7:00pm Join us after work in the Nina Haggerty Centre for the Arts for our official opening ceremonies and enjoy delicious goodies provided by The Upper Crust. Music, festivities, and entertainment amongst the stunning art exhibit, SkirtsAfire: Art UnHemmed.
Celebrate with us afterwards across the street at the SkirtsAfire Cabaret Space in the Alberta Avenue Community Hall for the A-Line Variety Show!
The A-Line Variety Show – a raucous kick-off to SkirtsAfire 2015!
Thursday March 5, 7:30 pm – 10:00 pm Hosted by Breakfast Television personality Bridget Ryan, who will also sing some of her infamous cabaret tunes, and featuring an all-star line up of fabulous female artists including dance by Anastasia Maywood and Tatiana Cheladyn, Zai El Howa Belly Dancing and La Troupe Zephir; the unmatchable harmonies of Oh Dear and Asani; Spoken Word by Carolyn Gingrich and Megan Dart; Comedy with Christine Lesiak; Bag Piper Sylvia Thiessen along with Highland Dancer Rhiannon Perley-Waugh; and Booming Tree Taiko Drum.
Here’s a peek at what else you can expect:
- Words Unzipped will enthral you.
- Asani will inspire you.
- Yoga in the Arts will replenish you.
- The Peep Show and Staged Readings will intrigue.
- Art Unhemmed: Everything Cannot be True, will show you magic in the mundane.
- Your and your children will love For When She Wakes.
- Enjoy our singer songwriters in the Key of She. (and at Sloppy Hoggs!)
- Feast your mind at A Place for Prose.
- Shake it up with Belly Dancing.
- Ask Aggie will entertain!!
- Lauren Mann and the Fairly Odd Folk, A Princess Cabaret, and The Switches will have you dancing the night away!