The Writers’ Guild of Alberta (WGA) is preparing to celebrate another successful year. Writers from across Alberta and their publishers are invited to check out and submit to this year’s Alberta Literary Awards. The deadline for submissions is December 31, 2013.
Submissions are evaluated on originality, creativity, and quality of writing, as well as appropriate fit within a category. The winners will be announced at the 2014 Alberta Book Awards Gala in Calgary in the spring. The Alberta Literary Awards will be presented in conjunction with the Book Publishers Association of Alberta’s (BPAA) Alberta Book Publishing Awards.
The Alberta Literary Awards were created by the Writers’ Guild of Alberta in 1982 to recognize excellence in writing by Alberta authors.
Prizes of $1500 are awarded to published entries in the following categories:
- R. Ross Annett Award for Children’s Literature (chapter books)
- Georges Bugnet Award for Fiction
- Wilfrid Eggleston Award for Nonfiction
- Stephan G. Stephansson Award for Poetry
- Gwen Pharis Ringwood Award for Drama (published or produced)
In addition, four prizes of $700 are awarded to unpublished and published entries in the following categories:
- Amber Bowerman Memorial Travel Writing Award (unpublished)
- James H. Gray Award for Short Nonfiction (published)
- Howard O’Hagan Award for Short Story (published)
- Jon Whyte Memorial Essay Prize (unpublished)
The Writers’ Guild of Alberta is a non-profit organization that represents both professional and emerging writers in Alberta. Their mission is to inspire, connect, support, encourage and promote writers and writing, to safeguard the freedom to write and to read, and to advocate for the well-being of writers.