Edmonton Public Library, the City of Edmonton and the Edmonton Arts Council have put out the call for Edmonton’s fifth Poet Laureate. Edmonton’s Poet Laureate reflects the life of the city through readings of poetry, and, as an ambassador for the literary arts, the Laureate incorporates poetry into a range of official and informal city activities. Edmonton’s current Poet Laureate is Anna Marie Sewell. Anna Marie is an established poet who has been actively involved in the city’s poetry scene for more than 20 years, earning respect and acclaim from her colleagues and peers around the literary world.
Edmonton’s Poet Laureate is expected to:
- commit to the full two-year term
- assume the role of literary ambassador for the City of Edmonton to audiences both within and outside of the City
- advocate strongly for the literary arts
- produce, on request of the City, at least three original works for specific events or occasions identified by the City in each year of the two-year term.
- agree to present in person works of significance to the citizens of Edmonton:
- at least once a year to City Council
- at least once a year at a City-sponsored fund-raising or charity event, and
- at a minimum of two official City of Edmonton functions each year such as the City of Edmonton anniversary of incorporation, the City’s official summer exhibition or the Mayor’s state of the City address
The Poet Laureate will initiate events related to poetry and may be required to travel outside of Edmonton to represent the City in an official capacity
In addition, the Edmonton Poet Laureate will be allowed/encouraged to present or perform works of other poets, if content and/or subject is relevant to the event and the citizens of Edmonton.
The official Poet Laureate receives an honorarium of $5,000 for each year of the two-year term ($10,000 total).
Any travel expenses associated with the role of Poet Laureate will be in addition to the annual honorarium.
- The next Poet Laureate will serve a two-year term beginning July 1, 2013.
- The deadline for nominations is 4:30 pm, Wednesday, May 29, 2013.
For more information and nomination form, visit http://www.edmontonarts.ca