The Metro Edmonton Library Federation (Edmonton Public Library, St. Albert Public Library, Strathcona County Library and Fort Saskatchewan Public Library) are inviting applications from Edmonton and area writers for two positions as Regional Writers in Residence for the period of January 3 to December 31, 2013. The successful candidates will work individually and collaboratively to develop regional programming and projects. For this full time position (35 hours/week) which may include days, evenings and/or weekends, the Writers in Residence will devote 50% of their time to library programs and projects for all ages, and 50% of their time to personal writing projects.
Goals of the residency:
- To provide space, time and resources for regional writers to work on their own writing projects
- To provide encouragement and critical support of both professional and emerging writers through individual consultations, community/school outreach and group workshops and seminars
- To raise the profile of the Regional Writer in Residence program
One of the Regional Writers in Residence will work out of the Stanley A. Milner branch of the Edmonton Public Library with their primary area of responsibility being the residents of the City of Edmonton. The other Regional Writer in Residence will spend January – April at the St. Albert Public Library, May –June and September – October at the Strathcona County Library in Sherwood Park, and November – December at the Fort Saskatchewan Public Library. Office space will be provided.
This is a 10.5 month non-renewable contract that will pay each Regional Writer in Residence $27,500 and is restricted to writers living in the Metro Edmonton area. There will be a six week break in the program from July 1 – August 15, 2013. Transportation costs will be covered by the Metro Edmonton Library Federation.
Additional funds will be available for programming support.
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Minimum of one professionally published, critically reviewed title. Eligible publications include novels, short stories, poetry, drama, and non-fiction.
- Instruction and facilitation experience in the area of creative writing.
- Active participant in a local writing community.
- Comfortable working with the public in one-on-one and group settings.
- Interest in and ability to provide on-line consultation.
- Currently working on a writing project intended for publication.
- Must have a vehicle and valid driver’s license, to allow for travel throughout the metro Edmonton area.
Expressions of interest must include a cover letter and resume clearly outlining literary publications and background in the literary field, experience working with the public, teaching experience or other forms of public presentation, and a detailed proposal for library and community programming and projects to be undertaken throughout the residency. Please include three letters of reference from members of the writing community along with your resume. Applicants are also asked to submit a 10-15 page sample of recent writing along with reviews of earlier works. Only those applicants who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: Friday September 28, 2012
Applications can be mailed, faxed, or emailed in MSWord or pdf format to:
Regional Writer-in-Residence Selection Committee
c/o Therese McAuley
Edmonton Public Library
3rd Floor Stanley A. Milner Library
7 Sir Winston Churchill Square
Edmonton, AB T5J 2V4