On July 19, 2012, I gave a workshop to 28 nonprofit organizations on the topic of eNewsletters + Social Media Marketing that was sponsored and hosted by the Edmonton Chamber of Voluntary Organizations. Attendees included the Alberta Women Enterpreneurs Association, the City of Edmonton, St John Ambulance, the Edmonton Folk Music Festival, Fun Team Alberta, the Health Sciences Association of Alberta, the Edmonton Christmas Bureau, the Alberta Education Foundation, Alberta Trail Net, Concrete Theatre and others. It was rewarding to see the participants so interested and actively engaged with the topic. Not only was the range of organizations diverse, the range of experience the participants had with social media was equally diverse. Some participants were already social media mavens, others were just starting to explore the possibilities. I felt so rewarded with the participants’ rapt attention and the overwhelmingly positive feedback from the workshop evaluations, I decided to share the presentation.
Here’s a photo I took at the workshop so you can see for yourself how engaged the participants were with the topic and how intent they were with completing the workshop evaluation.
It’s always a challenge to give a workshop to such a diverse group of organizations and to participants with skills that range from beginners to advanced. Not so with this workshop. The participants with lots of social media experience reported that they would recommend the workshop to others because “it was helpful to clarify what I already thought I knew” and someone else who could have given the workshop wrote that “it reinforced what I already know and opened my mind to things I can do better.”
A participant who was just beginning to explore the social media possibilities reported that “as a beginner with social media I found the workshop helpful, inspirational and easy to understand.” Another beginner reported that the workshop “was a great introduction to why nonprofits should use social media.”
- Engaging Reporters with Social Media for NonProfit Organizations – September 26, 2012
- Optimizing News Releases for Reporters, Bloggers and Search Engines for NonProfit Organizations – October 31, 2012
- Pitching Your Story to the Media for NonProfit Organizations – November 28, 2012
- Media Publicity Planning for NonProfit Organizations – December 12, 2012
- Mastering Media Interviews for NonProfit Organizations – January 30, 2013
- Strategic Social Media Planning for NonProfit Organizations – February 27, 2013
and a series of half day social media seminars in Edmonton and Calgary:
- Facebook for NonProfit Organizations – Edmonton, September 12 | Calgary September 14, 2012
- Twitter for NonProfit Organizations – Edmonton, October 17 | Calgary, October 19, 2012
- LinkedIn for NonProfit Organizations – Edmonton, November 14 | Calgary, November 16, 2012
- Google + for NonProfit Organizations – Edmonton, December 5 | Calgary, December 7, 2012
- YouTube for NonProfit Organizations – Edmonton, January 16 | Calgary, January 18, 2013
- Pinterest for NonProfit Organizations – Edmonton, February 13 | Calgary, February 15, 2013
- Blogging for NonProfit Organizations – Edmonton, March 13 | Calgary, March 15, 2013
You’ll find the details of these workshops and seminars posted to www.mediamag.ca/media-training in early August (right after I recover from a weekend of volunteering at the Edmonton Folk Music Festival, climbing the hill many times to make sure everyone is having fun yet behaving themselves and the after hours volunteer parties). Registration will be open on Wednesday, August 15.
I hope you have a peaceful, restful and fun filled summer — and to perhaps see you at the Folk Festival and at one or two of the workshops and seminars.