YouthInkIT is a not-for-profit literacy organization that is dedicated to advancing and encouraging literacy in youth through journalism and communications. Through signature journalism workshops, offered to grades 3 through 7, YouthInkIT works with students to teach them critical skills in research, interview techniques and writing. Our journalism workshops include the participation of volunteer experts from the community who participate in the program and the completion of a YouthInkIT workshop includes a hard copy YouthInkIT Minizine that each participant and volunteer receives.
Building on their twenty year anniversary, YouthInkIT is seeking a full-time Program Director who will be primarily responsible for scheduling, managing and delivering the YouthInkIT journalism workshops in Calgary schools. The Coordinator will also be responsible for editing and publishing the workshop Minizines and YouthInkIT’s bi-annual Magazine.
- Deliver and facilitate the YouthInkIT journalism workshops to grades 3 through 7
- Research and recruit appropriate community guest speakers to participate in the journalism program
- Edit and publish workshop material to create YouthInkIT’s workshop Minizines, as well as YouthInkIT’s bi-annual magazine, YouthInkIT Magazine
- Develop and execute a fundraising strategy to help diversify the funding sources of the organization
- Increase the profile of the organization by leveraging off the current strengths of YTI
- Seek out growth opportunities for the organization in terms of potential funding opportunities, and new workshop clients
- Liaise with school staff and teachers, as well as members of the community
- Represent YouthInkIT in the community at public events and/or fairs, such as the annual Teacher’s Convention and the Calgary International Children’s Festival
- Follow established processes and procedures to ensure that the organization continues to offer high quality programming while delivering all promises on time and budget
- Work closely with the Board of Directors to ensure day to day operations are in line with strategic goals and future plans
- Work closely with volunteers and/or hired consultants to ensure projects are completed on time and to the organization’s standards
- Promote high standards of professionalism, integrity and leadership for the organization
- Assist in the creation and preparation of budgets for current and future projects
- Establish and maintain yearly, monthly and weekly programming schedules
- Available to work flexible hours (including some evenings and weekends) when required and have access to a vehicle for travel within Calgary
The successful candidate must demonstrate aptitude and knowledge in Adobe Creative Suite (CS4) and/or be willing to enroll in a course, paid by the organization to gain these skills.
- Prior teaching or facilitation experience is highly desirable and will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of educational systems and procedures
- Ability to work independently with little supervision while remaining accountable to the Board of Directors
- Creative thinker who can contribute new ideas and approaches to the organization
- Detail oriented with a high level of organizational and time management skills
- Comfortable carrying out tasks independently
- An active and inquisitive learner
- A proactive and motivated self-starter
- Ability to work in a flexible work environment, both independently and as part of a team
- Post-secondary education completed in any of the following: Education, Journalism, Communications (with a focus on writing and education), Non-profit Management. Relevant experience will also be considered.
Application deadline: July 21, 2012
For more information see the YouThinkIt website.