CICT aka Global Calgary now owned by Shaw Media began broadcasting in Calgary in 1954 as a CBC affiliate and was the first television station in Alberta. A consortium of three Calgary radio stations, CFCN, CFAC and CKXL launched the station. In 1975 the station disaffiliated with CBC when CBC launched its own Calgary tv station. In 1980 it became the first tv station in Calgary to broadcast 24 hours a day. In 2000, CICT joined the Global Television Network along with CITV aka Global Edmonton and CISA aka Global Lethbridge. All three stations share the same programming schedule and sometimes the same news stories. Global Calgary serves as the master control centre for all Global’s 11 Canadian stations.
In 2007, the station became the first in Calgary with a news helicopter it shares with AM 770 CHQR during the morning and afternoon rush hour and for selected breaking news stories. In 2010, Shaw Communications acquired the assets of Canwest Global Communications along with the Global TV stations across Canada, including Global Calgary and Global Edmonton. In November 2010, Global Calgary became the first television station in Calgary, and the second television station in the province of Alberta, to shoot and transmit its local newscasts in High Definition.
In September 2011 Global Calgary began broadcasting a new Sunday morning local newscast from 8-10am MST. On August 27, 2012, Global Calgary will expand its weekday morning newscast to four hours, with the addition of a half-hour at 5am, the 5-6am hour of the newscast will be titled as the Early Morning News. On September 2, the station plans to expand its Sunday morning local newscast to three hours with the addition of another hour on the front end of its newscast at 7am. The expansion of the station’s morning news programming is part of an expansion of local news programming on Global owned-and-operated stations across Canada and is part of a benefits package that Shaw Media promised the CRTC to fulfill as a condition of its licence.
Global Calgary’s News Team:
- Jayme Doll – News Hour and News Final (weekends at 6 and 11 pm.)
- Scott Fee – Morning News and Noon News Hour (weekdays at 5:30 am and noon)
- Reid Fiest – Saturday Morning News (Saturdays at 7 am) and Sunday Morning News (Sundays at 8 am)
- Dallas Flexhaug – News Hour Final (weeknights at 11 pm)
- Cara Fullerton – Noon News Hour (weekdays at noon)
- Gord Gillies – News Hour (weeknights at 6 pm)
- Linda Olsen – Early News and News Hour (weeknights at 5 and 6 pm)
- Amber Schinkel – Morning News (weekdays at 5:30 am)
- Bindu Suri – Saturday Morning News (Saturdays at 7 am) and Sunday Morning News (Sundays at 8 am)
- Tony Tighe – Consumer reporter
- Heather Yourex – Health FYI on the Early News and News Hour (weekdays at 5:00pm and 6:00pm)