Learn to successfully plan, design, launch, maintain and promote a blog for your nonprofit organization on WordPress.com. Attendees will learn how to use Themes, Plugins, Widgets, and basic HTML to design a blog that matches your website and helps recruit new e-newsletter subscribers, online donors, and supporters on Facebook, Twitter and social media networks. From basic to advanced, this workshop explores the WordPress interface and toolset. Attendees learn how to insert select and insert images and videos into blog posts, monitor statistics on visitors and comments, and create an editorial content system that enables you to assign, track and monitor upcoming blog posts from multiple authors. Blogging best practices in terms of post frequency, length, tone, and SEO (Search Engine Optimization) are also covered in detail.
The workshop ends with a discussion of 25 blog content ideas so you’ll never suffer from writer’s block, thus enabling you to maintain a consistent and effective blog for your nonprofit. You’ll also leave the workshop with a wealth of resources to help you keep your donors, funders, volunteers and members of your nonprofit informed, aligned and engaged with your blog and your organization.
You’ll learn about:
Setting Up a WordPress.com Account and Tour
- Setting up your WordPress.com account and touring its Dashboard. Highlights on differences between WP.com and DIY.
Choosing Between WordPress.com and DIY WordPress
- How to decide between using WordPress.com and installing WordPress yourself.
Managing Comments and Comment Spam
- How to manage comments and comment spam in WordPress.
Finding and Installing WordPress Plugins
- How to find, choose, and install the right plugins for your WordPress site.
Finding and Installing WordPress Themes
- How to find, choose, and install the right theme for your WordPress site.
Simple Theme Customizations
- Simple customizations to your WordPress theme with menus, headers, backgrounds, and widgets.
Organizing your Content with Tags and Categories
- How to use tags and categories to organize your content and help search engines find your content.
Creating Posts and Pages
How to create content using the Post and Page editors in WordPress.
Using the WordPress Image Editor
- How to use the built-in image editor within WordPress.
Using WordPress to Create a Website
- How to use WordPress to create a traditional website.
Adding Audio and Video to Your Posts in WordPress
- How to add videos and audio podcasts to your WordPress posts.
SEO for WordPress Sites
- Basic Search Engine Optimization settings and tips for your WordPress site.
Website Analytics on WordPress with Google Analytics
- Measuring your traffic with WordPress Stats and Google Analytics.
Updating WordPress, Themes, and Plugins
- How to keep your WordPress site, plugins, and themes updated with automatic and manual updates.
Edmonton – Wednesday, May 23 from 1:30 to 4:30pm at CINE Audio Visual at 10251 – 106 Street
Calgary – Thursday, June 7 from 1:30 to 4:30pm at Kahanoff Centre at 200 – 12 Avenue SE
Fee $175 per person until Friday, May 4, 2012, $195 thereafter.
This is a hands-on computer workshop in front of a smartboard and limited to six participants. Please bring a laptop with a wireless connection. After you register, you’ll be asked to do some preliminary homework before the workshop and to bring specific information about your organization to the workshop.
- Register online for the Blogging for NonProfit Organizations workshop in Edmonton
- Register online for the Blogging for NonProfit Organizations workshop in Calgary
- Ask questions and register over the phone by calling 780-695-5675.