Edmonton Corus General Manager Doug Rutherford handed in his resignation on February 29 effective the end of March 2012. Puget Sound Radio also reports that Corus has lost their General Sales Manager, Neil Cunningham and Boyd Leader, their Program Director, who all quit over the past six months. Corus is not the only Alberta radio broadcaster losing big guns. Kevin McKenna, General Manager of Rogers in Calgary also quit in February. With the sale of Hot 107 FM in Edmonton to Harvard Broadcasting, Russell James has returned to the position of Program Director for The Bounce.
James, who was with the Bounce from 2007 until he moved over to launch Hot 107 in October 2009, will be moving back to the Bounce at the end of the month. The award-winning announcer, music director and DJ takes over PD duties from Ford, who had been programming both Sonic 102.9 and the Bounce since the Bounce was bought by Rogers, which also owns Sonic, in 2010. Hot 107, meanwhile, was sold in December by independent owner John Yerxa to Harvard Broadcasting, which also operates Lite 95.7, formerly The Sound.
James has become something of a celebrity himself, as the once-per-month house DJ at the Haute nightclub in Hollywood, said to be frequented by the likes of Justin Timberlake and Prince. As for the possible change in Bounce direction might be forthcoming after he takes the wheel, it’s too early to say, of course. James couldn’t be reached for comment Wednesday.
Calgary’s CJSW is losing its Station Manager, Chad Saunders after eleven years at the helm. Saunders is the new office manager for Calgary’s National Music Centre although reports are that he will continue to do his Friday afternoon stint at CJSW.
These Alberta media outlets are hiring:
- The Edmonton Journal is looking for a new Sports Editor. Application deadline is March 19.
- The Edmonton Sun is looking for a Mobile Multimedia Journalist. Application deadline is March 30.
- CTV Edmonton is seeking a Reporter/Anchor. Application deadline March 19
- Avenue Magazine – Calgary is looking for a Managing Editor. Application deadline March 23.
- Shaw TV – Calgary is looking for a Local News Anchor. Application deadline is March 16.